- Deaf Hub
- Community Matters
- Stop Deaf Hate Crime
- About us
- Contact us
Job Vacancy: Advocacy Officer
Job Title: Advocacy Officer
Hours of Work: Fixed term contract terminating on 23rd April 2022.
2 days per week (16 hours), flexible working is essential. Days of work will be agreed upon appointment.
Workplace: Based in Wolverhampton and working across the Black Country and the surrounding areas, as required.
Zebra Access, a local Deaf charity based in Wolverhampton, has secured funding from the Big Lottery Fund to develop services for Deaf people over the next 5 years. This new project will address the main needs of Deaf people in Wolverhampton and the surrounding areas by providing appropriate access to information and services. This project will see a Community Hub developed, where service users can go to discuss their issues, be signposted to appropriate services and be supported in their preferred communication method (i.e. British Sign Language, sign supported English, lip-reading etc.) The project will also aim to develop an accessible society to meet the communication needs of Deaf people, by offering community and youth development, advocacy and communication awareness services. The Advocacy Officer will be instrumental in supporting the Community Development Officer to develop the Deaf community hub and its services, with support from the Project Manager.
This is a new project and candidates applying for this role will need to:
- Provide individual and community advocacy support to local Deaf people and communities.
- Be a self-starter and be able to work on their own initiative.
- Be a fluent BSL user.
- Have experience of working and communicating with Deaf people in a variety of settings.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about:
- Supporting, inspiring and mentoring Deaf people.
- Ensuring that Deaf people are enabled to express their views and opinions.
- Increasing societal awareness of deafness.
- Working towards eliminating the barriers that Deaf people face on a daily basis.
If you feel that you are the kind of person we are looking for to lead and deliver this project, please download here for further information including job description. You can contact Chris Beech at email@example.com or on 01902 421919 for an informal discussion or for details of the job description/person specification.
How to apply:
- Send your CV and covering letter, stating why you feel you are the best person for this job, by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to: Zebra Access, Creative Industries Centre, Wolverhampton Science Park, Glaisher Drive, Wolverhampton, WV10 9TG.
- OR request an application form by emailing: email@example.com or via post at: Zebra Access, Creative Industries Centre, Wolverhampton Science Park, Glaisher Drive, Wolverhampton, WV10 9TG.
Application deadline: 5pm of 29th March 2017.
Interviews: Date of interviews to be confirmed within 2 weeks after the deadline.