Job Vacancy With Zebra Access
Job Title: Community Development Officer
Hours of Work: Fixed term contract terminating on 23rd April 2022.
3 days per week (24 hours), flexible working is essential. Days of work will be agreed upon appointment.
Workplace: Based in Wolverhampton and working across the Black Country and the surrounding areas, as required.
Zebra Access, a local Deaf charity based in Wolverhampton, has secured funding from the Big Lottery Fund to develop services for Deaf people over the next 5 years. This new project will address the main needs of Deaf people in Wolverhampton and surrounding areas by providing appropriate access to information and services. This project will see a community hub developed, where service users can go to discuss their issues, be signposted to appropriate services and be supported in their preferred communication method (i.e. British Sign Language, sign supported English, lip-reading etc.) It will also develop an accessible society to meet the communication needs of Deaf people by offering community and youth development, advocacy and communication awareness services. The Community Development Officer will be responsible for establishing this Deaf hub and its services with support from the Project Manager.
This is a new project and candidates applying for this role will need to:
- Have a proven record in developing and delivering community-based projects.
- Work with the local community and potential partners/service providers to develop and establish the required services/training/events, free from the barriers that Deaf people currently face.
- Increase awareness amongst existing service providers and charities, of the issues currently faced by their Deaf customers/clients.
- Explore the provision of services that are currently being enjoyed by hearing people, for example, IT drop in sessions where people can bring their devices in to be looked at, or accessing support about how to use them, etc., thus establishing the provision of equivalent services for Deaf people.
- Have BSL Level 3 or the ability to sign at that level.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about:
- Developing services for Deaf people and communities.
- Supporting Deaf people in all areas of life.
- Understanding and providing communication access solutions for Deaf people facing daily barriers in society.
- Developing robust Partnerships.
- Inspiring and mentoring Deaf people.
If you feel that you are the kind of person we are looking for to lead and deliver this project, please download here for further information including job description. You can contact Chris Beech at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01902 421919 for an informal discussion or for more details about this role i.e. job description/person specification.
How to apply:
- Send your CV and covering letter, stating why you feel you are the best person for this job, by email to: email@example.com or post to: Chris Beech, Zebra Access, Creative Industries Centre, Wolverhampton Science Park, Glaisher Drive, WV10 9TG.
- OR request for an application form by sending your request by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to: Zebra Access, Creative Industries Centre, Wolverhampton Science Park, Glaisher Drive, WV10 9TG.
Application deadline: 5pm of 22nd February 2017.
Interviews: Date of interviews to be confirmed within 2 weeks from deadline.